The 24th Victorian Premier's Award for Health and Medical Research
Congratulations to all candidates from VCCC partner organisations shortlisted for the Premier’s Award and conducting cancer related research.
The Premier's Award is awarded annually to recognise the exceptional contributions made by early career health and medical researchers in their PhD studies. Category award winners receive $5,000 each and the overall Excellence Award winner receives additional $15,000. The Award's ceremony will be held Monday 26 March 2018 at Federation Square.
Basic Science Researcher Award
- Dr Nicholas Gherardin (The University of Melbourne at the Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity), Understanding immune cells that respond to vitamins: How they work, and how we can use them to fight cancer
- Dr Ashleigh Poh (The University of Melbourne / Oliva Newton John Cancer Research Institute), Understanding the role of Haematopoietic Cell Kinase (Hck) in gastric and colon cancer
- Mr Dean Sydney Tyler (The University of Melbourne / Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre), Preclinical Evaluation of Targeted Epigenetic Therapies
Clinical Researcher Award
- Dr Ada Cheung (The University of Melbourne, Department of Medicine (Austin Health)), Muscle effects of hormone therapy in men with prostate cancer
- Dr Benjamin Teh (The University of Melbourne / Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre), Improving the care of infections in patients with blood cancer multiple myeloma treated with new generation therapies
- Dr Paul Yeh (The University of Melbourne / Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre), Non-invasive testing for blood cancers using liquid biopsy
Health Services Researcher Award
- Dr Gabrielle Haeusler (Sir Peter MacCallum Department of Oncology, The University of Melbourne), Improving the quality of research and the delivery of care for one of the most common complications of cancer treatment in children